- About Us
- Pet Library
- Informational Pages
- More Features
- Contact Us
March is Pet Poison Awareness Month!
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline: (844) 492-9842
Medications: Medications for people and pets can be potentially toxic to your pet. Do not assume that medications that are safe to give to people are safe for your pet. Common drugs that pets ingest that cause toxicity include: anti-inflammatories (e.g.: aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen), inhalers and mood-changing drugs (e.g.: antidepressants).
Lawn chemicals: Insecticides, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
Outdoor chemicals: Ice melt, batteries and ethylene glycol antifreeze.
Toxic plants: Lilies, in particular, are highly toxic. To be safe, do not allow your pet to chew on any plants or flowers.
Cleaning chemicals: bleach, bathroom cleaners, detergents and fabric softeners.
Foods: chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic are toxic to pets. Caution with chewing gum that contains the sweetener, xylitol, as this chemical is toxic to your pet.
**Signs that your pet may have ingested a toxic substance include**: Drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, behavior changes, hyperactivity or lethargy. fast or slow heart rate, increased thirst, stumbling, tremors, seizures, loss of consciousness, unable to waken, changes in breathing character or rate